Non-Traditional Learning

A maximum of 30 credits are allowed for non-traditional learning experiences. In addition, certain departments allow students to receive credit for earned certificates if they are enrolled in a related Cochise College certificate or degree program. Non-traditional learning credits do not count toward the college residency requirement.

Advanced Placement

The Advanced Placement (AP) program offers college-level courses and examinations to high school students. AP exams are administered in high schools by the College Board each year in May. Students who receive a score of 3, 4 or 5 on an AP subject exam may be awarded college credit. Students should consult with an advisor in the Student Development Center to confirm AP credit. Information about the AP program is available on the College Board website at  A list of available tests and their corresponding credits is available on


Cochise College accepts both College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams and DSST exams for college credits, provided satisfactory scores are attained.

Students must have completed at least one Cochise College course before CLEP or DSST credit is granted. A list of available tests and their corresponding credits is available on Students cannot be awarded CLEP or DSST credit for courses taken in the same subject at the same level. Conversely, students cannot receive course credit at the same or lower level if they have already received CLEP or DSST credit. More information is available in Policy 3006.3 or at Cochise College may award up to 30 credits for CLEP and DSST examinations; however, other colleges and universities are not obligated to accept these credits.

Military Service Schools, MOS and SOC Agreement

The college follows the credit recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) for Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) training. Colleges differ on their policies related to credit allowed for military service schools. Credit granted by Cochise College does not obligate any other college or university to accept such credit.

Evaluation and posting of credits occurs once a student has been admitted to Cochise College. Students may not request an official Cochise College transcript until they have registered for and completed at least three credits of Cochise College coursework with a grade designation of A, B, C, D, F, P or AU (audit). Credit earned for military service may not be used toward the college's 16-credit residency requirement.

Cochise College is a participating Servicemembers Opportunity College (SOC). The SOC association of schools has agreed to work together to make it easier for you and your family members to enroll in college programs by simplifying credit transfers. In addition, SOC schools normally offer distance learning programs, as well as degree programs and individual courses. SOC Agreements with Cochise College are limited to a five-year period.